Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Homeschooling with a bunch of little ones...


Yes, homeschooling can definitely have its fair share of challenges- but my attitude on life is to make the absolute best out of whatever situations are thrown your way, fix the things that don't work and keep the things that do.

That being said, we have little munchkins of all ages, from early elementary to preschoolers to toddlers so it is a constant mission to keep the little ones busy and engaged while working with my big guy who is so smart and curious, its sometimes hard just keeping up with him!

So like I mentioned in a previous review, we have that fabulous book, Tasks Galore which has given me so many great ideas, quick and easy to prepare and keep the little ones busy for decent amounts of time until they are ready to move on to the next "task".

Here are some things we have been doing and work wonders:

Finger painting with half a cup of water mixed with half a cup of corn starch with a drop of food coloring. The "paint" hardens as it is put on the paper, making it have a sandy texture afterward. Paint on black paper, the paint shows up more then on white
Using pegs to match up upper and lower case letters of the ABC
Using pegs to match up colors on a paper plate
Matching pegs to laminated colored index cards
Beading a necklace out of salad macaroni
Sorting colored erasers into different colors in an ice tray. Using colored markers, I colored each square in the ice tray different colors, showing the munchkins where to place the correct colors. This could be done with small tongs or pincers, or just by hand
Beading plastic beads onto pipe cleaners (more sturdy then string, easier for little hands and fingers)

I made this box out of a container, cut a slit in the top and use it like a charity box. The slot has some resistance to the plastic shapes so the munchkins have to really push it in there. I made another one with a few small slits in different directions and they use Popsicle sticks to push in.
And this is a really sweet gift I received today for one of my kids from a friend of ours in Arizona. Here is her website, it makes a very sweet gift for a little one!

Its a never ending search for more of these little tasks for the little ones-
feel free to send some tried and true my way!
A great week to all,

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog! My daughter is only 14 months but I am researching homeschooling and am SO inspired reading your blog, you are a super woman and should wear a cape! Thank you for sharing all of your fabulous ideas, I am very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started out just like you, researching when my oldest was a year- and I got SO inspired by the many amazing homeschooling mama's out there! Thank you and enjoy the journey:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...