Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Getting to know Ourselves and our Kids

The other night my hubby and I were sitting on the couch, feet up, both doing work on our laptops when suddenly he looks up at me for a few moments and goes, "Now it all makes sense. This is you. I totally get you now."

Someone had sent him this info graph:

I've never considered myself an introvert as I thought introverts were anti-social and shy, two qualities I can say that do not describe me. But after reading up on Introverts, I am proud to say that YES- I am indeed an introvert!

My hubby, the absolute extrovert (introverts often marry extroverts) never understood how my idea of date night is making pop corn and watching a DVD together on the couch in PJ's. I could not think of anything more enjoyable! To him, its getting a babysitter and having a night out on the town. We have been married almost 10 years and although he clearly see's that I am not a quiet person, it was difficult for him to understand how I just love being home.

Now having discovered this, I now see very clearly how one of my kids is a textbook introvert. I could not understand how he is super social when kids come over or when at the park playing with other kids. But yet he is just so happy staying at home playing by himself. It didn't make sense that he was a loner as he really enjoys the company of others but on the other hand, he also thrives on being by himself. This little kiddo is my little introvert! So instead of thinking something is wrong or strange that he likes his quiet time so much, I now know that not only does he enjoy it, he NEEDS it.

Discovering these things about ourselves and our kids really helps in our entire approach to raising them. 

My in-laws were just here visiting and my very wise mother-in-law (who raised 11 amazing kids) was telling me how wonderful it is to get know the talents and qualities of your kids to help them become the best people they can be.

Having tapped into this, I now see how one of daughters needs organization around her. She keeps her bedroom neat and tidy and does not do well if things are out of place. This helps me help her in her day to day activities and it also helps me understand her certain moments of frustration. 

One of my sons is a very visual person. When he talks to me, he needs me to look at him and answer him with YES, not 'uh huh.'

So for those of you who know me, yes, believe it or not, I'm an introvert. I love being around friends and family and enjoy social events, but I need my time alone like people need air to breathe. 


It also explains why I love writing this blog so much.

Wishing you all a wonderful week!
Always,

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...